Benefits of Membership
Membership in the International Federation of Perioperative Nurses (IFPN) provides an opportunity for members to network and interact with their colleagues globally, to gain knowledge and participate directly with the International Council of Nurses [ICN], and to enhance and share their knowledge with perioperative nurses throughout the world to assist in providing the safest, most efficient to perioperative patients.
As the only perioperative nursing affiliate of ICN, members have a valuable link to this prestigious organization and share in the information from ICN on a monthly basis that is distributed in the form of email communication or available through this website.
As education is the key to enhancing perioperative patient care, the IFPN has collaborated with members to provide educational programs in conjunction with their annual congresses. These study days provide a global perspective to the members in attendance to broaden their knowledge base of international perioperative nursing. At the Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN’s) Congresses for the past few years, an "International Summit" has provided the IFPN networking sessions that have served to demonstrate that we all have similar problems with unique solutions to improve practice and serve as a catalyst for developing guidelines.
A toolkit for perioperative nursing groups that wish to establish an organisation for perioperative nurses has been initiated. Work in the developing areas of Africa and Papua, New Guinea has demonstrated the need for this resource. The experiences in these countries have generated documents to assist interested groups in the formation of such organisations.
This is but a snapshot of the value of becoming a member of the International Federation of Perioperative Nursing. We hope you will take the opportunity to explore the website, evaluate the value, and fill out the membership application form. We would welcome your input.
Is available to the largest national perioperative nurses' association within a country, or an equivalent perioperative nurses' group affiliated to the official nursing organization.
Requirements: the association is a section of a health workers' organization; the section has its own separate regulations which are not in conflict with Article 2 of the IFPN constitution or with the purpose and objectives of IFPN; the association or unit is controlled by perioperative nurses gaining its authority from its members, and speaks on perioperative nursing matters; the association or unit is represented by nurses in all IFPN activities.
Is available to an individual country without a recognised Perioperative Nursing / Operating Room Nurses Organization but which is working towards forming such an organization.
At the discretion of the Board, some assistance for fees and developing organisations may be awarded.
Other Important Information
The Annual Subscription is £255
The IFPN Board is comprised of the Executive and representatives of the member Associations. Meetings are held once per year in collaboration with member association conferences. An informal gathering may be planned whenever a number of Board members are present, i.e. the International summit held preceding the AORN Congress.
Previous formal meetings include:
- 2006, Association for Perioperative Practice (AfPP), Harrogate, UK
- 2007, Operating Room Nurses Association of Canada (ORNAC), Victoria, Canada
- 2008, Association periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN), Anaheim, USA
- 2009, European Operating Room Nurses Association (EORNA), Copenhagen, Denmark
- 2010, Australian College of Operating Room Nurses (ACORN) Perth, Australia
- 2011, South African Theatre Nurse Association (SATS), Johannesburg, South Africa
- 2012, European Operating Room Nurses Association (EORNA), Lisbon, Portugal
- 2013, Operating Room Nurses Association of Canada (ORNAC), Ottawa, Canada
- 2014, Perioperative Nurses College New Zealand (PNCNZ), Queenstown, New Zealand
- 2015, European Operating Room Nurses Association EORNA, Rome, Italy
- 2016, Australian College of periOperative Nurses (ACORN), Hobart, Australia
- 2017, European Operating Room Nurses Association (EORNA) and Greek Operating Room Nurses Association (GORNA), Rhodes Island, Greece
- 2018, Association periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN), New Orleans, USA
The advantages of a global network in which to share practice include the resources of many to seek solutions together. Almost every issue is one that has been resolved at some time somewhere, by someone, and by sharing solutions we can save time, learn beneficial lessons from colleagues and share experiences.
The website is the portal to discover the organisation, to share our vision, goals and aspirations and to further the aims of IFPN.
We hope that you and your association will be interested in joining IFPN and to further promote quality Perioperative patient care around the world. If you have any further questions or would like to contact us, please email email@example.com